Monday, August 9, 2010

The bounty of August


August is the worst of the summer months in Missouri. July can be steamy, with temperatures reaching in the 90s. But it seems as though the 100 degree days are strung together more frequently in August. When that happens, I can barely roust myself to make anything for dinner, much less something complicated or that involves a grill or an oven.

Luckily, August provides us with a bounty of options for simple meals, without much fuss or complication. Friday night I got home from work and Chris and I realized we had no food in the house. We went to Winslow's Home for dinner, the place that does our CSA - community supported agriculture. We pay a set amount at the beginning of the summer and each week pick up a basketful of interesting produce.

Anyway, I had an amazingly simple dinner dish - tomatoes, fresh ricotta cheese and spinach gnocchi. It was so fresh, it made me think - "This is what I need to be making every day!" Sometimes I need a little inspiration from a restaurant or friend to get me out of a cooking rut.

So each day this week, I'll be bringing you a simple recipe each day that showcases the best of August produce in hopes that you will be inspired. Check them out and let me know what you think!


This salad needs no dressing. It's a twist on the Cobb salad. Makes enough for two, or three or four.
  • Lettuce ( 3 cups, ish)
  • Tomato (2 medium, chopped)
  • Avocado ( 1 chopped)
  • Green Onions (handful, chopped)
  • Ham chunks ( I bought these precut in a bag)
  • Turkey bacon ( I know Turkey bacon can be gross and weird, so the trick is NOT to buy "extra lean" but buy some that talks about how it has half the fat of regular bacon. That way, it'll have enough fat to crisp up nicely, but you don't have to feel guilty).
  • Hard boiled eggs (3 or 4, chopped)
 


Assemble. It's good with blue cheese dressing or none at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails