Friday, June 18, 2010

The best summer salad ever

Last summer, I visited a nursery near my house and learned that they sold fresh vegetables grown at a farm in Florissant. I wandered into the market area and saw rows and rows of colorful tomatoes- orange, red, dark yellow and even green.

I bought a bunch and when I got home, I thumbed through one of my favorite cook books and I found a recipe for the perfect summer salad. I have made this many times since then. It's my go-to recipe for barbecues and events. It's so good, so satisfying, so pretty. You will thank me if you make this.

I can't wait for the tomatoes to be ready this year. (Maybe by the 4th?) I'll be making this salad for sure.

Adapted from the Fresh from the Farmer's Market Handbook by Janet Fletcher
Ingredients:
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 shallot minced
salt and pepper
1 pound tomatoes - try to get a variety: big ones, tiny cherry tomatoes, yellow, purple, red, orange.
1/2 cup corn kernels
1 dozen fresh basil leaves.

Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, shallot and salt and pepper. Slice the large tomatoes and cut the smaller ones in half. Cut the basil into ribbons; add them and the kernels to the tomatoes. Pour the olive oil mixture on top just before serving - stir to make sure everything is well-coated and serve.
Keeps a few days in the fridge- if it lasts that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails