Tuesday, June 29, 2010

One ingredient ice cream


I'm not sure how I stumbled onto this post about one ingredient ice cream on the kitchn blog. I'm so glad I did! I love ice cream - be it frozen yogurt - custard - slow churned- or soft serve from Dairy Queen.
But, it's not so good to eat every day. (Well it's good, but not so good for you).
So this recipe for one-ingredient-ice cream sounded perfect - and healthy!
The secret ingredient? Frozen bananas.
One ingredient ice cream
adapted - barely- from a post on thekitchn.com by Faith Durand

Essential ingredients and supplies:
bananas
freezer
food processor

Optional add-ins:
strawberries
peanut butter
chocolate syrup

Directions :
I sliced three bananas into small bits and placed them on a cookie tray and popped them in the freezer for about 1 1/2 hours.

Next, I put the bananas in a food processor and blended it up. It is a good idea to walk away from the frozen bananas if you are impatient like me. Sometimes you just have to do something else and let the machine work its magic. At first it will look all crumbly. Then it'll go all creamy and wonderful like ice cream!

Now you should stop here and taste the banana-ey goodness. You could eat it immediately or pop it in the freezer for later. Or if you're feeling creative, you could try a few other add ins. I separated my banana base into two parts and made a strawberry banana mix and a choco-peanut-banana mix.

I had some frozen strawberries that I threw in. If I were going to try this again, I think I would have combined the strawberries in with the frozen bananas at the same time.

(This was my favorite)

I added some peanut butter and chocolate to the  banana base (a little too much peanut butter I think).

I'm excited to see where this ice cream innovation takes us this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails