Thursday, June 17, 2010

An interview with a creative few

I know so many creative people and talking with them about their projects often inspires me to try new things. So I've decided to introduce them to you all in a format that I like: an interview.

Marge David is a retired teacher who lives in Columbia, Mo. She likes to cook, collect fabric and read for fun. She also enjoys bicycling, working in the yard and refurbishing her home.
When I was about eight, Marge taught me to sew. Marge was one of my mom's closest friends. She lived in our neighborhood and was a part of our lives for as long as I can remember. Marge is a quilter. One Christmas, my sister Shannon and I went to her house and she helped us make quilted pillows for our mom as a gift.

We each got to select the fabrics - pretty peach, dark green, pink floral. She guided our hands as we used the sewing machine for the first time. I was so proud to give that pillow to my mom. It was something I made myself. She still has those pillows in the living room.

Marge made my mom a large quilt that has scenes from the song "The 12 days of Christmas" embroidered on it. Every Christmas, it is hung on the wall of our front entry way. Even if Marge isn't around for the holidays, she's always a part of the celebrations. I think of her everytime I see the quilt.

Now that I'm married, I have my own Marge creation in the form of a Christmas Tree skirt. I treasure it. This year it went around the base of our little Charlie Brown tree.


1. What do you create?
Currently: Food/recipes, Quilts, Christmas tree skirts, tote bags, children’s dresses, doll clothes. In the past: dolls, Curtains, pillows, Christmas tree ornaments, recipes.












2. How did you get started?
My grandmothers both inspired me. One grandmother made me dresses and quilts then sent them from Idaho to Missouri. The other GM crocheted doll clothes for my dolls and also let me tie comforters.



3. What inspires/motivates you?
Inspired by color fabric, projects seen in fabric stores. I am motivated by the people I love. When I really care about a person, I show it by cooking meals …I’m the original “Nothin’ says lovin’ like something from the oven” or making a handmade gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails