Friday, June 11, 2010

Can't beet these brownies

Mwahh ha ha. I'm so funny. So instead of looking for something to enhance the flavor of my beets from the CSA this week, I copped out and added them to brownies. The result was brownies with slightly more vitamins? The brownies were pretty good. I was expecting to see them have a little bit more red color, but they turned out looking like and tasting like chocolate cake. Check out the recipe here
The bad thing is that these have 1 1/2 cups each of sugar and flour, plus a whole box of chocolate pudding and faaaarrrrr too many calories to allow them to sit at my house. So I sent them to work with Chris with strict instructions not to disclose the secret ingredient. His coworkers were none the wiser!
So here's what I did: wrapped each beet up in foil and cooked the crap out of it in the oven for about an hour. When they came out, the skins came off easily and I had this:

Aren't they pretty? I tried a tiny one at this point and I have to say, it tasted OK. Kind of a dirty, earthy, sweet taste. I might have been convinced to try making something else that highlights the taste a little more. Maybe.


Shred them up in the food processor ( best Christmas gift ever!). Add a bunch of ingredients that are bad for you.

Bake, then eat.


This is a good way to use up beets you have laying around because you are afraid uninspired by them. Also, it's a good way to sneak in some healthiness into something that's inherently unhealthy. I think next time I try this though, I'll look for a less calorie-laden recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails