Friday, July 23, 2010

An Interview with a Creative Few: Chasity Gunn

I know so many creative people and talking with them about their projects often inspires me to try new things. So I've decided to introduce them to you in a format that I like: an interview.


Chasity Gunn was my roommate during a six-week a summer journalism fellowship at the Poynter Institute for recent college graduates. We became friends during the program, bouncing ideas off of one another and talking about everything.

She taught me about  southern cooking, serious goal-setting and having an adventurous spirit. In the years that have followed, we've kept in touch and held each other accountable for doing good journalism.


In addition to being an excellent writer, Chasity is a curious, life-long learner. She worked for three years at a daily newspaper in Tennessee and is now tutoring students in English, writing and Spanish as she prepares to start graduate school this fall.

In the meantime, she's also launching a handmade card business. For fun, Chasity likes watching movies, cooking and going for milkshakes and frappacinos. She enjoys music shows, plays and hanging out with friends and family.

(She's also appeared in plays herself!)


                         

1. What do you create?
I create handmade cards, gift bags, jewelry boxes and books.

2. How did you get started?
Inspiration usually gets me started. Also, events like birthdays or if a friend needs encouragement that also gets my creativity started.
 

3. What inspires you?
I like to look at magazines of cards for inspiration. Sometimes I will pull out several sheets of card stock or some of my card supplies and will get ideas. I also like to sketch out cards before making them. Lately, I've been trying to find inspiration in every day things like a morning run, a daily newspaper or grocery shopping.


4. How do you promote your work?
I promote my work by sharing it with friends and family. I also have started a store on Etsy. In July, I'll have a booth at the Nashville flea market for the first time.

Check out Chasity's shop on Etsy, Yours Sincerely Gifts. She's happy to do custom invitations as well!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/yourssincerelygifts



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails