Friday, July 9, 2010

Warm potato salad and grilled corn on the cob

Today, I bring you two recipes for side dishes at summer barbecues: warm potato salad and grilled corn on the cob. They went over smashingly at my last event. (As you can see from the picture, the potato salad went first).

I have never been a big fan of potato salad. I know, this seems sacriligious from someone who grew up in a town inhabited by plenty of German descendents. I think it's the temperature and the texture I have an issue with. I like my potatoes to be warm and, preferably, covered in butter.

But I realize most people do enjoy potato salad and they like it to be recognizable as potato salad. I dug out a recipe from Paula Deen's "The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook" for warm potato salad and thought I'd try it out.

Warm Potato Salad
Adapted from "The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook" by Paula Deen
15-20 small potatoes. I used a mix of new potatos and others
1 cup chopped celery
3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream

Boil potatoes 20 minutes, or until tender. Cool until you can chop it into chunks. Set aside.
Combine remaining ingredients, add potatoes and mix. Serve at room temperature.



Grilled Corn on the Cob
recipe courtesy of Michelle Lamorette
corn on the cob - buy it as fresh as possible
olive oil (1/4 cup or more depending on the amount of corn you plan to make)
sea salt

Shuck the corn husks. If you'd like smaller serving sizes, split each cob in half.

Pour olive oil and salt in a ziplock bag.

Smush oil and salt into corn.


Wrap corn in aluminum foil. Grill for 20-25 minutes over indirect heat.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails