Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A summer of berries


I'm not sure where the summer of berries came from. I canned a few things last summer: peach jam and apple butter. This year, I knew I wanted to try strawberry jam and after that went well, I went a little crazy...
So far, I've canned :
strawberry jam

raspberry jam

cherry jam

blackberry jam

I missed blueberry season, due to some trips to Florida, Iowa and the lake. But peach season is coming soon! I'm going to give peach jam another try. Last year's didn't turn out as well as I would have hoped- too sweet, I think.  I found a good recipe for peaches in a lavender syrup.

I also think that I want to try canning pickles and making my own spaghetti sauce! It's ambitious because I've never tried canning savory foods.

But there's something so satisfying about picking berries yourself, bringing them home and coaxing them into a magnificent topping for toast. Plus, I love giving away my canned goods- especially to people who can appreciate the effort that goes into it. The best compliment I've ever gotten was from my in-laws who always return the jar, clean and empty usually just a few weeks after they got it.



I'm not sure if you've ever thought about canning your own jam, but I can tell you it's pretty easy. You don't need any particular equipment, and there are lots of tutorials online to help you figure out how to get started.

Here are a few resources to check out, if you'd like to bottle the taste of summer to crack open in January:



What recipes have you tried for jam? Do you have any good tips for canning savory foods? Got a favorite pickle recipe to share?

1 comment:

  1. I don't have the initiative for jams considering my pickiness. We make spaghetti sauce using my mom's recipe, also meatballs, hmm. We freeze it though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails